RV Living.net Forum Index RV Living.net
Forum Rules were simple-'keep it clean'. Spammers DIDN'T do that-so I DISABLED Profile sign-ups. If New Users want to register, send an email to info@rvlving.net. I WILL sign you up or post your Q's. We all learn from others! Reg Users can still post.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ABOUT TO TRY FULLTIMING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RV Living.net Forum Index -> New Fulltimers - Please share your experience.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HEISLER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: ABOUT TO TRY FULLTIMING Reply with quote

We can hardly stand the excitement of it all. The furniture goes into storage near the end of May. I will be going to work from the trailer until about the end of July. Heading to Nova Scotia in August. Back to Ontario maybe mid September. Head south the first part of November. We will be going to South Texas or maybe Arizona. In March, start a very slow trip back to Ontario to arrive mid April. Maybe a west coast trip that summer.
I know it is probably not prudent to store the furniture, but this fulltiming could last anywhere from 3 months to 5 years (who knows for sure).
The unknowns are many, but the excitement is great. We are looking for the perfect campsite, but we also understand is does not exist. One day maybe a lake, the next maybe a mountain, and new people to meet at every stop.
Bob & Shirley Heisler
Ottawa, Ontario
1997 GMC 2500HD, ext cab, long bed, 454 CI, 4:10 axel
1999 Americal Star 5th, 30 feet 9 inches in length
Note for John; I was a Radar tech stationed in Shearwater (1974 to 1980). I worked for a Sgt Joe Macdonald. I think I remember them talking about a John Macdonald that went camping fulltime (It sounded good to me).
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: ABOUT TO TRY FULLTIMING Reply with quote

Bob and Shirley Sounds like you are ready for your adventure. Congratulations. To coin a phrase there is no life like that of RVing. Enjoy your getaway. icon_lol.gif

By the way we didn't go fulltime or even begin camping until 1985 so I think your co-workers might have been talking about someone else. We were in your shoes when we hit the road in 86. It is a rush for sure. 19 years later it is still a great lifestle. Take care and happy adventures P&J icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif
& 'Spirit of the Open Road' (out of print)
PLUS E-BOOKS -
#1 RV Travel to Canada UPDATED 2007)
& #2 RV Packing Tips, RV Life Lessons, Easy Living Hints

Go to www.rvliving.net for details

SIGN UP FOR P&J'S WEEKLY DIARY BY E-MAIL -personally delivered to your inbox each weekend,
dkirby9152@aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: new to fulltiming too Reply with quote

WOW ... I read your note and had to chuckle at the irony of the similarity of our situations. We, too, are Ottawa residents about to embark on a new, scary but exciting, life as fulltimers, also in a ( new to us, but slightly used ) 30 foot fifth wheel pulled by a ( GMC ) one ton turbo-diesel dually.

The businesses are sold, we're "unemployed", the house is for sale ! As soon as the weather is warm, the house is sold, and all the "stuff" is sold, or otherwise disposed of, we're "on the road" ... probably late June.

This summer we'll head West to Winnipeg, visiting family. We'll return to Ottawa and Southwestern Ontario by about mid-September, then start slowly heading South, starting with the Escapees National Rally in Goshen in late September. We hope to be in Texas for Christmas, Florida in January maybe, New Mexico in November or maybe February. A year from now, perhaps a return North up the West Coast ... spring in B.C ? All the way across Canada next summer, ending the summer in Newfoundland ?

I tremble with excitement just thinking about it. We have been working for 2 years to get to this point. Still so many things to do before we head out. So many unanswered questions.

Want to get together for a cup of coffee and compare notes ?

Daniel & Joanne Kirby
Cumberland, Ontario ( just East of Ottawa )
613-833-8354
1999 GMC K-3500 4x4 diesel dually
1998 Cardinal by Forest River 28RKB fifth wheel
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: More on fulltiming travels Reply with quote

Dan: Your trip sounds interesting but I strongly recommend you read the residency article (direct link in the frame at the top of on our home page) Be aware of the time you are legally allowed in the US (borders are cracking down but us RVers still have some freedom to come and go as we please) and if you have not applied for the extension with OHIP just be aware of what the regs are and how they apply to you. We have never used this time out and in Ontario we asre only expected to be in the province for 5 months per calendar year. You also must establish an official residence with family or friends. The only persons who have no fixed addresses are criminals. You will need to provide a home base address at the border. NEVER admit you are fulltiming either because the host country feel you could become a burden icon_confused.gif

These time frames are not heavily enforced as of now but if you know what you can and can not legally do, your trip will be much more enjoyable. Where you can encounter some problems is if you leave a paper trail behind you with medical claims from several places. It may even be wise to cover small bills yourself. Just a thought. icon_cool.gif

Also read the Travel to the USA page just for info. Take care and have a great trip. It sounds like a fantastic adventure you have planned for your self. You were us 19 years ago. There is no life like that of RVing. Just be aware of what you can and cannot do. In a word it is CYA. If you have any personal questions send us an email to webmaster@rvliving.net or post them on the question board. Take care Happy travels till later P&J icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
PLUS E-BOOKS -

SIGN UP FOR P&J'S WEEKLY DIARY BY E-MAIL -personally delivered to your inbox each weekend,
bigratz.ca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: New Fulltimers Reply with quote

After reading the comments of several new "fulltimers" I felt I had to put in my 2 cents worth. My wife and I are in the final throes of the process of heading out on the road. I finish with my job on the 31 MAY 04 and then we have 2 mo. to dispose of the apt. contents by way of sale/storage and then on 01 AUG we move into our Winnebago Journey to begin seeing N. America. Off to a re-union in Regina in Aug. and meeting old friends in Winnepeg, back to Calgary for Labour Day, then off to Edm to visit with grandkids, then into BC to Vancouver and by then it will be Nov. and we turn south through Seattle and points south for the winter. We're excited, scared, elated, apprehensive but overall SO ready to do it.
Greg & Gloria Egan
Calgary, AB icon_biggrin.gif
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Greg and Gloria Reply with quote

There is no life like that of the RV Lifestyle. It gives you the abillity to enjoy such a sense of freedom. It is an unbelievable feeling. The world is your oyster. Use your minor mistakes as part of the learning curve. icon_cool.gif

To you two and all the others who are just visitors remember The future belongs to thos who beilieve in the beauty of thier dreams. Having Fun is the name of the game. Take care RV LIVING is the ultimate adventure. P&J icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif
PLUS E-BOOKS -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RV Living.net Forum Index -> New Fulltimers - Please share your experience. All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: